- Information for the public
- Civil cases
- Criminal cases
- Children's Hearings
- Leaflets for the public
- Find a Solicitor
- Report a suspected fraud
- Information for providers
- Legal Aid Online Hub
- Mailshots and updates
- Forms & Declarations
- Legal Assistance Handbooks
- Solicitor registration
- Quality Assurance Schemes
- Agent video links
- Duty Plans
- Reforms and projects
- Advice sector
- National Fraud Initiative
- About us
- Who we are
- What we do
- Access to information
- Complaints & customer service
- Board suppliers
New templated increase in Children’s ABWOR cases
Monday, Oct 15, 2018
We have introduced a templated increase for new ABWOR applications submitted after 30 September for six specified hearing types. These are:
- A S35 Application to the sheriff for a Child Assessment Order
- A S38 Application to the sheriff for a Child Protection Order
- A second working day children’s hearing
- A S48 Application to the sheriff for variation or termination of a Child Protection Order
- A hearing contemplating placing a child in secure accommodation
- A ‘custody’ hearing where a child is alleged to have committed a criminal offence
What are templates?
Templates are fixed increases available for cases which meet certain criteria.
They allow an increase for the work which you most commonly have to undertake at the start of the case. They reduce the need for you to have to come to us for further authorisation as the case progresses.
If you select the children’s category code of CHSA and you have granted ABWOR to your client for one of the above hearings you can then select an increased template request of £350 to carry out the following work items -
- Advice to client before hearing
- Correspondence/Phone calls
- Preparation for hearing
- Negotiations with parties
- Travel to and from hearing
- Conduct of hearing
- Advice after hearing
Using template increases can save you a lot of time.
The six hearings covered by the template can take place very quickly and sometimes out of hours. You have always been able to grant ABWOR for your client for these hearings but, prior to the introduction of this template, you would always have to contact us for an increase in authorised expenditure as the initial level (£95) is not enough for the conduct of these hearings. Now you can select this template increase and this will save you having to contact us for a further increase to let you go ahead and represent your client at the hearing in question.
Any grant of ABWOR and an associated templated increase will still be subject to our approval that the correct grant of ABWOR was made by you and that all the work was carried out appropriately.
The template can only be used once in an application.
For more information
Please contact Alison Brand, Team Leader, Children’s Legal Assistance Department, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the templates or how to use them.
Legal Aid Online
11, Apr, 2019
Vacancies - Civil casework solicitorsRead article
01, Apr, 2019
Payment timetables - Easter and May holidaysRead article
01, Apr, 2019
Chair and three board members re-appointed by MinisterRead article
08, Mar, 2019
SLAB welcomes new legal aid advisory panelRead article
14, Feb, 2019
Legal aid applicant fined after pleading guilty to fraudRead article