Civil Legal Aid - Information for applicants
The BSL videos below explain civil legal aid and advice and assistance. The corresponding leaflet can be found here.
1. What is civil legal assistance ?
2. How do I find a solicitor who is registered to give me civil legal assistance? If I do not qualify for advice and assistance or civil legal aid, how can I get free advice?
3. Civil advice and assistance
4. What will legal aid cover?; How do I qualify for legal aid?; What forms do I have to fill in about financial eligibility?; What if I need work to be done urgently?
5. Will the opponents in my case know I have applied for legal aid?; What happens if I am refused legal aid? If I am refused legal aid can I apply again?
6. Is civil legal assistance free? What happens if I lose the case?
7. What are contributions? What if I have difficulty paying?
8. What is property won or kept? What is "clawback"?
9. What are my responsibilities?
10. Can SLAB withdraw legal aid ? Can I change solicitor ? What if my solicitor suggests working privately for me or charging me while I have legal aid?
11. What can I expect from the Scottish Legal Aid Board ? What can I expect from my solicitor ?