Guidance on selecting the correct category code where social work involved with a child

Friday, Jul 21, 2017

We continue to receive queries about the correct category code to use where there is social work involvement with a client and their child, especially where that child is accommodated outwith your client’s care on a voluntary basis in terms of S25 of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995.

Selecting the incorrect category code can delay payment when your account is submitted.

To help you we have updated the civil and children’s handbook guidance on this when admitting clients to advice and assistance. A quick guide is available at the end of this guidance.

The category code to use is either the civil category code FAM or the children’s category code CHSA. The category code of CHC should not be used and we explain why in the handbook guidance.

For more information, please contact: Elizabeth Cuschieri, Solicitor, Children’s Legal Services E:



Legal Aid Online

Legal services providers please click here to log in to Legal Aid Online  loginBtn

21, Aug, 2017

Advocate David Sheldon appointed to board

Read article

10, Aug, 2017

SLAB joins Climate Week 2017

Read article

20, Jul, 2017

Payments to the profession - 25 & 28 August

Read article

22, Jun, 2017

First advice agencies accredited under new Scottish National Standards process

Read article

30, Nov, 2016

SLAB annual report 2015-2016 published

Read article